Great Leaders Create Great Companies
Startup Leadership is a one-week program focused on the strategic business and entrepreneurship knowledge and skills needed for managing a successful company from idea to exit.
Nine out of ten startups will fail. This is the brutal reality! The Startup Leadership program aims to help you beat the odds by giving you the tools to ensure your startup has the best chance to succeed through.
- Academic lectures and workshops by world-class professors,
- Practical talks from experts and serial entrepreneurs, and
- Inspiring company visits.
The intensive week will focus on building winning entrepreneurial mindsets, skills and experiences for founders and managers who seek to avoid crucial mistakes and make better decisions in running the day-to-day operations in a startup or corporate intrapreneurship project.
- Day 1: Startup Leadership
- Day 2: Growth Strategies and Entrepreneurship
- Day 3: Business Model Innovation
- Day 4: Finance and Profitability
- Day 5: Marketing and Selling
- Day 6–7: Ecosystem Tour and Hike in a Finnish Forest (Optional)
- Day 8–9: Startup Event – Slush (Optional)
- Startup Leadership: How can you be a great leader in a startup? What type of leader are you? What can you do by yourself and how can you effectively delegate tasks?
- Growth Strategies and Entrepreneurship: How can you make winning strategies when managing a startup? How can you embrace uncertainty and leverage it to your advantage? How can you grow the startup?
- Business Model Innovation: What are the scalable earning models and how can you leverage them to create more value for customers, the firm, investors and other stakeholders?
- Finance and Profitability: How can you create financial models for your firm? What is relevant on a balance sheet? How should you think and communicate about money within the organization? What is the optimal pricing strategy to maximize profitability?
- Marketing and Selling: How can you create a successful marketing campaign? Which tools can you use and when? How can you create successful sales/investor pitches? And how can you sell in person, via email/phone and online?
- Ecosystem Tour: How do the leading startups do it? What can we learn from them? Who can we collaborate with to create more value?
- Hike in a Finnish Forest: What can we learn from the Finnish forest?
- Slush: how can we get the most from an event? How to network and with whom? How to approach someone? How to deliver a perfect pitch? What to say/do and how long to stay talking with one person?
The Startup Leadership program is designed to meet the strategic business and entrepreneurship needs of individuals running and managing a company or an intrapreneurial project within a corporation. The program will help you to take the next step in your venture, develop your skills and know-how and inspire you to find solutions for current challenges.
It is especially recommended for
- Founding teams in startups (CEO, CFO, CTO, CMO, COO…)
- Project managers in corporate intrapreneurship projects
- Technical managers who are preparing to take on a leadership position
- Public sector bodies concerned with developing entrepreneurship
- Investors who seek to maximize the potential from their investment portfolio
Contents and Schedule
During the intensive week, we will focus on what to do when you are in a leadership position in your startup or project. We will invite world-class professors to deliver inspirational lectures and facilitate high-octane workshops.
We will visit exciting companies, big and small, that are revolutionizing the entrepreneurship world. Throughout the visits, we will listen to and participate in discussions with experts and serial entrepreneurs. Debate is always welcome, and is a big part of the learning process!
Day 0: Virtual Kickoff
Date: November 9, 2018
Time: 17:00 – 19:00 (EET – Helsinki)
We will open the program, discuss expectations, introduce pre-work (assignments/readings) and get to know each other. The program manager will introduce the day-by-day program outline.
Facilitator: Walid O. El Cheikh
Day 1: Startup Leadership
Date: November 26, 2018
Time: 09:00 – 19:00
Leadership is a crucial part of running a startup and building successful teams that will conquer the world. There is no doubt that great leaders create great companies. What is the transition from good to great leadership? How do great leaders manage people (including themselves), the company and its offering and other third-party relationships, e.g. investors, suppliers and customers? It is an ever-challenging task to achieve greatness, Day 1 will look at how to deal with day-to-day operations and tasks as a leader in a startup or project focusing on the following:
- How can you be a great leader in a startup?
- What type of a leader are you?
- What can you do by yourself and how can you effectively delegate tasks?
Instructor: Dr. Riitta Lumme-Tuomala
Company visit: TBA – a company that has a great leader
Day 2: Growth Strategies and Entrepreneurship
Date: May 24, 2018
Time: 09:00 – 19:00
Strategies and entrepreneurship are both important. On Day 2 of the program we will talk about how to tackle uncertainties and what to expect when companies are growing. The focus of the day will be on:
- How can you make winning strategies when managing a startup?
- How can you embrace uncertainty and leverage it to your advantage?
- How can you grow the startup?
The content will be based on the instructor’s decades of experience working with entrepreneurs and leaders in multinational companies and startups. He will use insights from his book “Camels, Tigers & Unicorns – Rethinking Science & Technology-enabled Innovation”.
Instructor: Dr. Shailendra Vyakarnam
Company visit: TBA – a company with an exceptional growth strategy
Day 3: Business Model Innovation
Date: November 28, 2018
Time: 09:00 – 19:00
Business model innovation is essential for companies to survive and make money. The participants will get their hands dirty in a high-octane business model workshop where they will attempt to crack a problem, to monetize, strategize and commercialize products and services.
The workshop will embody the ideas of thinking differently and the necessity to innovate across various stakeholders, marketing channels and earning models to create a competitive advantage for different industries and markets.
Instructor: Dr. Fabian Sepulveda
Company visit: TBA – a company with an impressive business model
Day 4: Finance and Profitability
Date: November 29, 2018
Time: 09:00 – 19:00
Finance is an essential part of running a startup or project. It is not only a requirement for CFOs, but a crucial skill for everyone in the organization to comprehend the importance of cash flow and managing budgets. In addition, it’s important to consider
- How can you create financial models for your firm?
- What is relevant on a balance sheet?
- How should you think and communicate about money within the organization?
- What is the optimal pricing strategy to maximize profitability?
Instructor: Dr. Teemu Malmi
Company visit: TBA – a financial institution or law firm (e.g. understanding the importance of shareholders’ agreement from both a leadership and a financial point of view)
Day 5: Marketing and Selling
Date: November 30, 2018
Time: 09:00 – 19:00
Marketing and selling are challenging tasks for startups and companies in general. Marketing activities create a firm’s identity and highlight its products and services, while selling contributes to finding leads, closing deals, and making money. On Day 7, participants will learn about
- How can you create a successful marketing campaign? Which tools can you use and when?
- How can you create successful sales/investor pitches and how to sell in person via email/phone and online?
- How can you integrate marketing and selling in an efficient and agile way?
Instructors: Dr. Peter Zackariasson, Walid O. El Cheikh
Company visit: TBA
Optional: Ecosystem Tour and Hike in a Finnish Forest*
Date: December 1-2, 2018
On Saturday we will arrange a tour in Helsinki’s entrepreneurship ecosystem. On Sunday, we will hike in a Finnish Forest. Details to be announced closer to the start of the program. The weekend will have some easy-going, fun and rewarding activities visiting cool places and nature.
* Participants will pay for the transport.
Optional: Startup Event – Slush*
Date: December 4-5, 2018
Slush has grown from a 300-person assembly to a world-renowned event, now spreading globally. The philosophy behind Slush has remained the same: to help the next generation of great, world-conquering companies forward. Read more about Slush.
During the program, the participants will be coached on how to benefit the most from Slush. Additional information will be discussed during the program.
* Slush Tickets are not included in the price of the program.
Dr. Shailendra Vyakarnam
Director of the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship at Cranfield School of Management
Dr. Vyakarnam has combined academic, practitioner and policy interests to provide advice to governments and on the development of entrepreneurial ecosystems, technology commercialization and entrepreneurship education.
He has mentored entrepreneurs and held non-executive directorships of small firms in addition to developing growth programs for SMEs over several years. From 2003 to 2015 he focused on the development of practitioner-led education for entrepreneurship at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School, Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning.
Dr. Vyakarnam is specialized in board room team development across industries, business growth strategies, mentoring early stage businesses. He is familiar with most industry sectors due to the long experience of working with businesses.
Dr Vyakarnam was awarded "Best Entrepreneurship Professor" at the 2nd Asian Business Schools Awards in 2011. In 2012 he was elected to the prestigious European Academy of Science and Arts.
Dr. Riitta Lumme-Tuomala
Riitta Lumme-Tuomala’s key qualifications are in the areas of leadership, especially from the point of view of different generations at the same workplace, young potential development, talent management and individual diversity (MBTI Step I and Step II Certification) and self-leadership.
She is an experienced and frequent lecturer on the mentioned topics. Lumme-Tuomala holds a Master of Sciences degree in Economics with a major in International Marketing from the Helsinki School of Economics and EMBA degree from HSE Executive Education. She defended her DBA dissertation on Talent Management in June 2017.
Dr. Peter Zackariasson
Lecturer in marketing at University of Gothenburg
CEO at Vasa Marketing
Peter Zackariasson is associate professor in marketing at University of Gothenburg, School of Business, Economics and Law.
For over 15 years he has studied the cultural industries, with a special focus on the video game industry. The results from these research endeavours has resulted in numerous peer-reviewed articles, book, edited books, chapters and conference papers.
He has also been instrumental in enabling collaboration between arts and business faculties at University of Gothenburg. Fruitful collaborations in several research centres, e.g.: Business and Design Lab, and Centre for Game Research.
In addition he is also CEO of Vasa Marketing, a consultancy company specifically focused on providing marketing knowledge to cultural industries in order to improve the possibility of establishing strong organisations with solid consumer bases.
Fabian Sepulveda is a Senior Advisor at Aalto University Executive Education. He is actively involved in Finland’s entrepreneurial ecosystem as a startup coach and Lean Launchpad® trainer, and helps organizations understand and execute Lean Startup methodologies and customer development.
Sepulveda has more than 20 years of experience in engineering, management consulting and investment banking at companies such as Lucent Technologies, A.T. Kearney, and J.P. Morgan.
He teaches Venture Formation and other courses at the Aalto Ventures Program and Aalto University Executive Education. He cofounded eyescubed, a startup in automotive technology, and also cofounded Courage Ventures Advisory, which provides entrepreneurship training and development to leading private and public organizations. He is also a cofounding Partner of Courage Ventures Management, a fund investing in health & wellness, education, and environment verticals.
Sepulveda has a PhD in International Business (Entrepreneurship) from Aalto University, an MBA in Finance and Financial Management Services from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (Netherlands) and a BSc in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from North Carolina State University (USA).
Teemu Malmi on laskentatoimen professori Aalto-yliopistossa.
Hän kouluttaa mm. strategia- ja kannattavuuslaskentaosuudess ja on toiminut konsulttina useille eri yrityksille mm. seuraavilta aloilta: IT, elektroniikka, energia, rahoitus, elintarvike, terveydenhoito, media, metalli, liikenne/kuljetus.
Walid O. El Cheikh
Program Manager, Aalto University Developing Entrepreneurship
Walid works with entrepreneurial programs and startups at Aalto EE, focusing on developing strategy, business and leadership skills.
He is involved in several programs such as the Game Executive, Innovation in Education, Cleantech Executive, Startup Track and Stora Enso Accelerator Program – a Corporate Accelerator with Executive Education twist.
Walid works closely with executives in the cleantech, gaming and education industries, speaks in conferences and participates in pitching and demo events as a judge.
Walid helps corporate executives and startups to adopt entrepreneurial mindset and skills at Aalto University Developing Entrepreneurship. In addition, he facilitates several workshops such as “Pitching & Networking”,
“Happiness in Entrepreneurship”, and “Ideation & Creativity”.
Walid has been involved in Aalto University’s entrepreneurship ecosystem since 2008 as a founder, student and program manager. He holds a MSc in Entrepreneurship with a minor in International Business. His thesis was titled: “Productizing Finnish Education for Export” and it was assigned by FinPro.
Program Fee and Registration
We offer an Early Bird program fee of € 3,950 (+ VAT), valid until September 1, 2018. From September 2, 2018 onwards, the fee is € 4,950 (+ VAT).
The fee includes optional activities and coaching on December 1-2 and 4-5, 2018.
Please note that the program fee does not include travel expenses or accommodation. VAT is applicable to private persons and Finnish companies.
Register for the program by November 2, 2018.