Habitare Design Your Pitch - Pitch Your Design
Pitching and Beyond Pitching
This workshop is for designers, artists and design students. We have created for you an inspiring workshop to help you pitch your creations to buyers, partners and investors.
The workshop consists of three parts:
- Pitching and Networking Workshop
- Introduction to Business Model (optional, but recommended)
- Presenting on Habitare Stage (only the best will be selected)
In today’s world, it is not enough to create perfect products, services or designs, but it is crucial to find the right buyers, partners, investors and/or markets in order to sell them. This workshop will offer the tools for pitching and beyond pitching.
This intensive bootcamp is organized by Aalto University Developing Entrepreneurship together with Habitare and leading design firms in Finland (last year Finlayson) with the aim to help designers and artists to improve their communication skills, create perfect pitches and encourage them to network with different stakeholders.
In 2017 the workshop was held on September 13, 2017 from 9:00 until 17:00 followed by a pitching event on the next day on Habitare Stage. In few hours, participants designed a pitch and practiced in the classrooms. After that, they had 24 hours to prepare a pitch, which was presented to a panel of judges consisting of potential buyers, partners, and investors. Among the judges, there were Irina Viipola, Concept Design Manager at Fiskars, Jukka Kurttila, CEO at Finlayson, Pekka Mattila, Professor of Practice, Aalto University School of Business and Joel Roos, Entrepreneur and Angel Investor. This was a unique opportunity to receive meaningful feedback on your pitches and designs, and sell them to the right audience.
The best pitch was awarded € 3,000 as a prize sponsored by the Fair Foundation. In addition, the most potential teams had the opportunity to be invited to an exclusive one-to-one mentoring sessions.
Read more (in Finnish): Toni Kitti pitchasi parhaiten
The program is targeted for designers, artists and design students working in areas related to the Habitare Fair: interior, furniture, product, industrial and textile design.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Contents and Schedule
The first part of the workshop is on how to create a perfect pitch for your design, product or service. The second part will focus on adapting and customizing your pitch to different situations. For example: How to talk to potential buyers? How to approach partners? How to get funded? How to network with different stakeholders? The final part of the workshop will focus on creating the winning business model in order to find the best ways to sell your designs for the most suitable markets or customers.
The workshop will use methods from the startup world, improvisation and acting and consultancy. We will also briefly discuss self-branding, strategy, entrepreneurship and psychology.
Content of the workshop
- The fundamentals of pitching and improvisation
- Creating a perfect pitch: workshop
- Customizing an elevator pitch
- Networking simulation
- Pitching exercises
- Pitching for a panel of judges
- Business model workshop
- Success / failure stories
- Personal feedback and advice from judges
- Monday September 10, 2018: Pitching and Networking Workshop
- Tuesday September 11, 2018: Introduction to Business Model
- Wednesday September 12, 2018: Work from Home / Practice your Pitch (Day off)
- Thursday September 13, 2018: Presenting on Habitare Stage (only the selected participants will present)
Program Fee and Application
How can you join?
The workshop is free of charge, and places are limited.
We will only select 50 participants who demonstrate high motivation for learning and have a clear idea or design. Please fill in the form and include a link to a 2-minute video with the following:
- Who you are: A brief description of who you are as a designer and/or artist
- Why you are joining this workshop: Your motivation to join the workshop and pitching
- What are you working on: An idea/design that you would like to present. It can be a design, sketch, prototype etc.